Memorandum of Understanding
Between Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation and Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
This Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) sets forth the mutual understanding and agreement between Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board ("THECB") and Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation ("TG") to enter into a partnership to further strengthen the Texas Awareness Initiative, support the Texas Higher Education Plan: Closing the Gaps by 2015, and increase communication and coordination between TG and THECB. The Texas Awareness Initiative provides students and their parents with guidance in selecting a school, planning a career, and applying for financial aid, with an emphasis on promoting continued success throughout the college experience.
TG and THECB believe that effective early educational outreach and awareness programs — including student financial aid information and services — are vital in ensuring full and successful access to Texas postsecondary education institutions by all Texas residents. Therefore, TG and THECB agree to work together to:
- Carryout and strengthen the services of the Texas Financial Aid Information Center.
- Created by the Texas Legislature, the Center is a collaboration among THECB, TG, and Texas Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (TASFAA). TG and THECB will support efforts to promote the Center's toll-free telephone number, (888) 311-8881, and website, www.collegefortexans.com.
- Carryout the Texas Higher Education Plan: Closing the Gaps by 2015. Where appropriate, TG and THECB will support joint efforts to meet the plan's goal of increasing student enrollment in postsecondary education by 500,000 by 2015. TG has adopted this goal as one of its strategic priorities, including the concomitant goal to help Texas institutions increase college student retention and graduation by at least 50% by 2015.
- College for All Texans Foundation: Closing the Gaps by 2015. In support of the efforts of the Statewide Awareness & Motivational Campaign, TG will serve as a member of the advisory group, and where appropriate, provide subject matter expertise support to the campaign.
- Continue to strengthen the informational services provided through College Bound. TG and THECB twice annually co-publish this student-centered newsletter, which is distributed to more than 500,000 students enrolled in targeted high schools in Texas.
- Collaborate in identifying higher education access policy issues, conducting research, and publishing reports to inform policy makers about the state of financial aid in Texas.
- Support collaborative efforts of the education communities, and specifically the Texas Awareness Initiative. For example, TG and THECB, in collaboration with the Initiative will seek to develop a Parent Institute to provide critical college-related information to parents in both English and Spanish.
- Involve other organizations, including civic and community organizations, which have expressed interests in efforts to develop and implement educational outreach and awareness programs to Texas students.
- Coordinate the development and implementation of new and existing pre-collegiate outreach and awareness programs.
This Agreement shall commence on April 15, 2002 and shall continue in force until terminated by either party. Either party may terminate this Agreement upon five (5) days prior written notice to the other party. This agreement is subject to the laws of the state of Texas. This Agreement is subject to all applicable State and Federal laws. The Agreement is also subject, to the extent applicable, to the Higher Education Act (HEA) of 1965, as amended, 20 U.S.C. §1070, et seq., including but not limited to §422(g)(2) of HEA, 20 U.S.C. §1072(g)(2).
All written communications shall be sent via U.S. Mail to the following addresses:
IF TO THECB:
Dr. Don Brown
Commissioner of Higher Education
Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
IF TO TG:
President & CEO
Texas Guaranteed Student Loan Corporation
This Agreement contains the entire agreement of the parties, and supersedes any and all previous agreements they may have made regarding this subject, whether orally or in writing.
Back to Top