At TG, we understand that sometimes even your best-laid plans to repay your student loans can be affected by life's changes — such as unemployment, economic hardship, or maybe a decision to go back to school to further your education.
Whatever the case may be, you may find it necessary to temporarily postpone repayment of your student loans. You can do this by applying for a deferment.
You are entitled to defer, or postpone, your student loan payments when you meet certain eligibility criteria and you request a deferment.
Nine deferment forms are available that cover many deferment types. The most common deferments are in-school, unemployment, economic hardship, graduate fellowship, and rehabilitation training.
Select the statement below that best describes your situation. The statement you select will take you to a description of a deferment, a list of eligibility requirements for that deferment, and the option to read, complete, download and print the deferment form.
- I am enrolled at an eligible school on at least a half-time basis.
- I am unemployed or working less than 30 hours a week, or working full time at a job that is not expected to last more than 90 consecutive days.
- I am experiencing economic hardship.
- I am engaged in a full-time course of study in a graduate fellowship program.
- I am engaged in a full-time rehabilitation training program.
- I am engaged in an internship/residency program.
- I am teaching full time in a teacher shortage area as defined by the U.S. Department of Education.
- My dependent student for whom I borrowed a PLUS loan is attending an eligible school on at least a half-time basis or is in a full-time rehabilitation program.
- I am, or my dependent or spouse is, temporarily totally disabled.
- I am pregnant, or caring for my newborn or newly adopted child.
- I am the mother of a preschool-age child and I am entering or re-entering the work force.
- I am on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States.
- I am serving on active duty, or on National Guard duty, during a war or other military operation, or national emergency.
- I am serving full time as an officer in the Commissioned Corps of the United States Public Health Service.
- I am a full-time volunteer in the Peace Corps.
- I am a full-time, paid volunteer under the ACTION Program.
- I am a full-time, paid volunteer for a tax-exempt organization.
- I am on active duty in the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
- I was enrolled in school before being called to active duty and now my active duty has ended.
Here are other documents located on www.tgslc.org that you may be interested in:
- Education Related Deferment (Rehabilitation Training Program)
- Education Related Deferment (Teacher Shortage Area)