The Post-Active Duty Student Deferment is a deferment for borrowers who have completed their active duty military service, and were called to active duty at the time of, or within 6 months of, attending school at least half time.
The time frame during which you may receive this deferment is 13 months following the completion of your active duty military service and any applicable grace period, or until the date you resume enrollment at an eligible school on at least a half-time basis.
You may qualify if you were called or ordered to active duty and all of the following apply:
- You are a member of the National Guard or Armed Forces Reserve, including a member who was in a retired status when activated.
- Your service includes a period on or after October 1, 2007.
- You were enrolled in school on at least a half-time basis in a program of study at an eligible school at the time of, or within 6 months prior to being called or ordered to active duty.
How to Apply
- Download the Post-Active Duty Student Deferment Request. Carefully read the entire form. Certain documentation may be required.
- Complete, print, and sign the deferment form. (To enter information into the interactive form, place your cursor in a field or tab from field to field. Turn interactive check boxes on and off by clicking on the box.) Have the authorized official complete Section 4 or attach a written statement from your commanding or personnel officer that includes all of the information requested or a copy of your military orders. Mail the form and any required documentation directly to your loan holder. Only your loan holder can approve your deferment request.
- If you need further assistance, please contact your lender or servicer or TG's Default Aversion team.