The Graduate Fellowship Deferment is a deferment for borrowers engaged in a full-time course of study in a graduate fellowship program.
There is no maximum time frame for this deferment. You must have an authorized graduate fellowship program official certify your dates of engagement in the program.
You may qualify, if all of the following apply:
- Your graduate fellowship program:
- Provides sufficient financial support to allow for full-time study for a period of at least six months.
- Requires, prior to the awarding of financial support, a written statement from each applicant which explains the applicant's objectives.
- Requires a graduate fellow to submit periodic reports, projects, or other evidence of the graduate fellow's progress.
- In the case of a course of study at a foreign university, accepts the course of study for completion of the fellowship program.
- You hold at least a bachelor's degree conferred by an institution of higher education.
- You have been accepted or recommended by an institution of higher education for acceptance into the graduate fellowship program on a full-time basis.
How to Apply
- Download the Graduate Fellowship Deferment Request in English or Spanish.
- Carefully read the entire form. Certain documentation may be required.
- Complete, print, and sign the deferment form. (To enter information into the interactive form, place your cursor in a field or tab from field to field. Turn interactive check boxes on and off by clicking on the box.) Have the authorized official complete Section 4 or attach separate documentation from an authorized official that includes all of the information requested. Mail the form and any required documentation directly to your loan holder. Only your loan holder can approve your deferment request.
- If you need further assistance, please contact your lender or servicer or TG's Default Aversion team.