The In-School Deferment is a deferment for borrowers who are attending an eligible school as either a full-time or at least half-time student.
There is no maximum time frame for this deferment. You must have an authorized school official certify your dates of attendance and enrollment status.
You may qualify, if both of the following apply:
- You attend an institution of higher education that is eligible to participate in Title IV financial assistance programs.
- You are at least a half-time student whose first loan was made on or after July 1, 1987.
How to Apply
- Download the In-School Deferment Request in English or Spanish.
- Carefully read the entire form. Certain documentation may be required.
- Complete, print, and sign the deferment form. (To enter information into the interactive form, place your cursor in a field or tab from field to field. Turn interactive check boxes on and off by clicking on the box.) Have the authorized official complete Section 4 or attach separate documentation from an authorized official that includes all of the information requested. Mail the form and any required documentation directly to your loan holder. Only your loan holder can approve your deferment request.
- If you need further assistance, please contact your lender or servicer or TG's Default Aversion team.