The Military Service Deferment is a deferment for borrowers serving on active duty military service, or National Guard duty, during a war or other military operation, or a national emergency and for an additional 180 days following the completion of the qualifying military service. You or your representative must provide your loan holder with required documentation.
There is no maximum time frame that you may receive this deferment.
Note: If you have loans that you obtained before going on active duty military service, you may be eligible to limit the interest rate on your loans to 6% during the period of your active duty military service under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA). Contact your loan holder for more information.
You may qualify if:
- You are:
- Serving on active duty during a war or other military operation, or national emergency; or
- Performing qualifying National Guard duty during a war or other military operation, or national emergency.
- Loans that may qualify are:
- Stafford loans;
- PLUS loans; and
- Consolidation loans.
How to Apply
- Download the Military Service Deferment Request.
- Carefully read the entire form. Certain documentation may be required.
- Complete, print, and sign the deferment form. (To enter information into the interactive form, place your cursor in a field or tab from field to field. Turn interactive check boxes on and off by clicking on the box.) Have the authorized official complete Section 4 or attach a written statement from your commanding or personnel officer that includes all of the information requested or a copy of your military orders. Mail the form and any required documentation directly to your loan holder. Only your loan holder can approve your deferment request.
- If you need further assistance, please contact your lender or servicer or TG's Default Aversion team.