Repaying Your Student Loan


Parent PLUS Borrower Deferment

"My dependent student for whom I borrowed a Parent PLUS loan is attending an eligible school on at least a half-time basis."

The Parent PLUS Borrower Deferment is a deferment for a parent borrower whose dependent student for whom he or she borrowed a Federal PLUS loan is attending school on at least a half-time basis.

There is no maximum time frame for this deferment. The deferment form must be certified by an authorized school official (for dependent students enrolled at least half time at an eligible institution).

Note: For Parent PLUS loans first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008, you may receive deferment for any period that your student beneficiary is enrolled at least half time and for the 6-month period that follows. Contact your loan holder to request this deferment.


You may qualify, if any of the following apply:

  • You have a Direct or Federal PLUS loan that was first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008.


  • You have an outstanding balance on a FFEL loan made before July 1, 1993 when you obtained a Direct or Federal PLUS Loan on or after July 1993.

    Note: Your student must be a dependent student during the deferment period requested.

  • You are applying to receive a deferment based on your dependent student's at least half-time enrollment status at an eligible school.
  • You may also defer repayment for the 6 months following the date that the student on whose behalf you borrowed the PLUS Loan ceases to be enrolled at least half time, as long as the PLUS Loans were first disbursed on or after July 1, 2008.

How to Apply

  1. Download the Parent PLUS Borrower Deferment Request in English or Spanish.
  2. Carefully read the entire form. Certain documentation may be required.
  3. Complete, print, and sign the deferment form. (To enter information into the interactive form, place your cursor in a field or tab from field to field. Turn interactive check boxes on and off by clicking on the box.) Have the authorized official complete Section 4 or attach separate documentation from an authorized official that includes all of the information requested. Mail the form and any required documentation directly to your loan holder. Only your loan holder can approve your deferment request.
  4. If you need further assistance, please contact your lender or servicer or TG's Default Aversion team.

Back to Top