Repaying Your Student Loan


Peace Corps Deferment

"I am a full-time volunteer in the Peace Corps."

The Peace Corps Deferment is a deferment for borrowers who are full-time volunteers in the Peace Corps.

The maximum cumulative time frame that you may receive this deferment is 36 months. You must have an authorized official of the Peace Corps certify your dates of service.


You may qualify, if:

  • You have agreed to serve for a period of at least one year, and
  • You have:
    • An outstanding balance on at least one FFELP loan that was made before July 1, 1993.

How to Apply

  1. Download the Economic Hardship Deferment Request (which includes Peace Corps service) in English or Spanish.
  2. Carefully read the entire form. Certain documentation may be required.
  3. Complete, print, and sign the deferment form. (To enter information into the interactive form, place your cursor in a field or tab from field to field. Turn interactive check boxes on and off by clicking on the box.) Attach separate documentation from an authorized official that includes all of the information requested and certifies your period of service. Mail the form and any required documentation directly to your loan holder. Only your loan holder can approve your deferment request.
  4. If you need further assistance, please contact your lender or servicer or TG's Default Aversion team.

Back to Top