Repaying Your Student Loan


Rehabilitation Training Deferment

"I am engaged in a full-time rehabilitation training program."

The Rehabilitation Training Deferment is a deferment for borrowers engaged in a full-time rehabilitation training program.

There is no maximum time frame for this deferment. You must have an authorized rehabilitation training program official certify your dates of engagement in the program.


You may qualify, if all of the following apply:

  • Your training program is licensed, approved, certified or recognized as providing rehabilitation training to disabled individuals by the Department of Veterans Affairs or a state agency responsible for vocational rehabilitation, drug abuse treatment, mental health services, or alcohol abuse treatment programs.
  • Your training program provides services under a written individualized plan that specifies the date the services are expected to end.
  • Your training program is structured in a way that requires a substantial commitment by you towards your rehabilitation. ("Substantial commitment" means a commitment of time and effort that would normally prevent a person from being employed 30 or more hours per week in a position expected to last at least three months.)
  • You are either receiving, or scheduled to receive, these rehabilitation services.

How to Apply

  1. Download the Rehabilitation Training Deferment Request in English or Spanish.
  2. Carefully read the entire form. Certain documentation may be required.
  3. Complete, print, and sign the deferment form. (To enter information into the interactive form, place your cursor in a field or tab from field to field. Turn interactive check boxes on and off by clicking on the box.) Have the authorized official complete Section 4 or attach separate documentation from an authorized official that includes all of the information requested. Mail the form and any required documentation directly to your loan holder. Only your loan holder can approve your deferment request.
  4. If you need further assistance, please contact your lender or servicer or TG's Default Aversion team.

Back to Top