If it is determined that you are eligible for a total and permanent disability discharge, Nelnet will notify you that your loan and/or grant service obligation is discharged; however, the loan and/or grant service obligation is then placed in a post-discharge monitoring period for a 3 year period that begins on the date the discharge was granted. The obligation for you to repay your loan or complete your TEACH Grant service will be reinstated if, at any time during this 3-year period, you:
- Receive annual earnings from employment that exceed the poverty guideline amount for a family of two in your state;
- Receive a new loan under the Direct Loan Program or the Perkins Loan Program, or a new TEACH Grant;
- Receive a disbursement of a Direct Loan Program or Perkins Loan Program loan or a TEACH Grant that was initially disbursed prior to your discharge date and you fail to ensure that the disbursement is returned to the loan holder or (for a TEACH Grant) to ED within 120 days of the disbursement date; or
- Receive a notice from the SSA indicating that you are no longer disabled or that your continuing disability review will no longer be the 5- to 7-year period indicated in the SSA notice of award for SSDI or SSI benefits.
During the 3-year post-discharge monitoring period, you (or your representative) must:
- Promptly notify Nelnet of any changes in your address or telephone number;
- Promptly notify Nelnet if your annual earnings from employment exceed the poverty guideline amount for a family of two in your state;
- Upon request, provide Nelnet with documentation of your annual earnings from employment; and
- Promptly notify Nelnet if you receive a notice from the SSA indicating that you are no longer disabled or that your continuing disability review will no longer be the 5- to 7-year period.
* The post-discharge monitoring period does not apply if you are a veteran and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs determines that you are unemployable due to a service-connected condition, and therefore permanently and totally disabled for the purposes of discharging your loan(s) and/or TEACH grant service obligation.