Negotiated rulemaking, sometimes abbreviated as "Neg Reg," began in the early 1980s and is currently required under the Higher Education Act (HEA). Under Neg Reg, the U.S. Department of Education (ED) works to develop proposed regulations in collaboration with representatives of the parties who will be affected significantly by the regulations. See the Web pages below for more information about recent Neg Reg activities.
- 2016 Neg Reg (Borrower Defenses)
- 2015 Neg Reg (Pay As You Earn, SCRA)
- 2014 Neg Reg (Program Integrity and Improvement)
- 2012-14 Neg Reg (Gainful Employment)
- 2011-12 Neg Reg (Program Integrity)